Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Soap and Suds...

Whoosh… This past week has flown by. My life has pretty much consisted of reading Systematic Theology and trying to figure out my “seminary situation”. Wayne Gruden’s book, for those of you who haven’t read it, is a walkthrough of biblical doctrine as he attempts to compile “everything that the entire Bible says on a topic”. While it’s extremely dense, it has peeked my interest as of late. I’ve also been prepping for wedding week (two weddings in one week), trying to memorize a poem for one of the weddings, participating in outreach events at my church, and developing quality friendships with some of the solid believer. God has really blessed me with people who desire to see him at work.

This Saturday, in between wedding rehearsals, our church went and helped out at Casa del Buen Samaritano. It was an awesome experience. We washed kids feet while sharing the wordless book with them. Washing feet is such a humbling experience. I can’t even describe it in words. I guess if anything, this poem kind of wraps it up. I got the privilege of using my rusty Spanish (like… I haven’t spoken Spanish in 6 years?) without a translator’s help. As always, God really came through in the clutch and somehow used the sentence fragments that fell forth from my lips to communicate the gospel.

I’ve been really struggling with some aspects of my walk lately but God has been really gracious to me. Today as I was driving to wedding number one, I was overcome with frustration at my propensity to drop the ball. I’m tired of being an immature child when it comes to the things of God. I want to be willing to risk my friendships and relationships for the sake of the gospel. I want to know him in fullness and depth. And I want to grow up… adolescence isn’t included in any portion of Scripture. Unlike Solomon, I want the knowledge in my head and the passions of my heart to line up as both fall down in humble submission to God’s glory.


What if Christians really believe that what they believe is true? It seems that I’m drawn back to that question pretty constantly as of late. What if we really believe that this Earth is not our home? What if we really believe that no one can get to the Father but through submission to Jesus Christ? How would we work differently…? I fear that sometimes our theology gets locked away in some neuron and never infiltrates our hearts, tears down our idols, and reconstructs our passions. Maybe if we really do believe that God is all-powerful, we can trust that He can use our broken attempts at communication from the mouths of broken vessels to open the minds of the lost and soften those hearts that have been hardened by unbelief.

1 comment:

ypsiknitti said...

Maybe if we
1. Kept the weeds and cares of the world from choking out or snatching up the truth we would be transformed and then be salt, light and love in the earth.
2. Held on to our faith and confidence in Him, and let go of our fears (fear of failure, fear of getting it wrong, fear of...whatever)we would trust Him to work in and through us.

Loved the poem!