Pages

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Oatmeal... FOR BREAKFAST?!?!

Today was a rough one. I'm currently going through a trial that just... doesn't look like its going to end... I was almost at a breaking point earlier (not that that really means anything) and to top it all off (!!!!!) it was a gray and rainy day in Houston while it was 82 degrees in the state I just left.

I always get the feeling that I'm a tad dramatic (there may be some truth to that statement) and in the past, whenever something would come up I would moan and groan no matter how slight the inconvenience may have been (i.e. having to eat Oatmeal for breakfast again!!! OMG Who does that!!!). But now that I'm experiencing something that I probably should overreact to, I can't help feeling that "this too isn't that big a deal".

After reading some of John Owen's "The Glory of Christ" I was reminded of a familiar phrase: that which a man thinkith, so he is. Or, in the DEV, we turn into the thing we spend our time thinking about. Mark Driscoll wrote a pretty powerful piece on worship and how humans transform into the very thing we meditate on, dwell on, obsess over... etc. As abstract as that may seem, I tried to focus on the glory of Christ, Him becoming the atoning sacrifice. I tried to imagine what it felt like, what it looked like, how it was for Him to do the things He did and was actually able obtain peace in the middle of my life's hurricane.

I actually had no intention of posting this but please keep me in prayer (big meeting tomorrow) and I definitely encourage you to ignore the monotony of life, the discouraging moments lest you become them. Instead, focus on the only thing that is above, the only thing that is greater than the indigestion caused by life's daily dry oats boiled in hot water (just when you thought I couldn't bring it back!!)... and try to wrap your mind around the person of Christ.


Grace and peace


No comments: