Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Giving Thanks


I’ve been in the Mitten for the past week and sleeping for 10 hours has never felt so ama-za-zing. It’s been great to get a break from school/work and remember all the ways that the Midwest is different from the South (both in a good way and in a bad way).

The other night, I was driving through Ann Arbor and started to get teary eyed about the darkness of the city (teary eyed does not equal crying… cause I’m a man and men don’t cry unless they’re being stabbed or something…). But in light of it being the time for munching down pounds of turkey and whatever the heck constitutes stuffing, I wanted to run off my thankful list.
  • I’m thankful that Michigan will beat that Ohio school for the first time in about a decade and I can finally tell my one Columbus friend to kick rocks really hard without any shoes on…
    Beezy's French Toast is MAGICAL!!
  • I’m thankful that Chris Crump, Jimmy Needham, and David Crowder* Band actually know how to write/sing/play an instrument and give me running music.
  • I’m thankful that UnderArmor makes insulated running gear because it’s ALWAYS cold in Michigan. 
  • I’m thankful for compression shorts J.
  • I’m thankful for Bee’s French Toast, Pound Cake, Key Lime Pie, real (not instant) Coffee, and the fact that if you combine all three it negates the calories (I was an English major).
  • I’m thankful that the Chronicles of Narnia will always be greater than Twilight even if kids these days don’t know what the former is.
  • I’m thankful for musicals, plays, art galleries, and jazz and all the other artistic expressions that I took for granted as a kid.
    Even though they're in the NorthEast, it's good to have good friends
  • I’m thankful for friends that stay friends even when they live in different time zones and moms who mail goody bags to kids trapped in smog.
  • I’m thankful that College Basketball > lockout.
  • I’m thankful for newly married friends who get me super excited whenever I see them just because they’re married even though it means they have to ask their wives whenever we want to hang out :-/.
  • I’m thankful that teasing them about this never stops being funny…
  • I’m thankful for the Bobby Kelly’s, Terrence Quinn’s, Dr. Foster’s, Micah Caswell’s and Elliott Hill’s who poured into me, helping me mature and see what it means to be a man.
  • I’m thankful for CLMI and the fact that there are people who truly love God and truly want to know him even when life gets tough.
  • I’m thankful for Bethel Church and the fact that there are people who are eager to rebuild.
  • Most of all, I’m thankful that God saw it fit to write himself into our story by sending his son to redeem an ignorant and lost people.
I think it’s important to remember the little things. They say life is filled with them and I for one am grateful that my life is filled with that instead of stuffing.

Happy Thanksgiving!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Daniel,
You are a great writer and inspiring man of God. You are going to do some awesome things in this world. Look out! God has a great work for you and you are the right man for the job. I am thankful for you and the hope that your ministry brings to the nations. Be blessed.
YBIC,
-Bobby Kelly